So yesterday I was minding my business when all of the sudden I saw THIS. Click on it, and you will see the latest attempt by the Milwaukee ad campaign against co sleeping. If you can’t click on it, I will tell you that it is a mattress with the imprint of a baby on it and a message that more or less says that babies die by sleeping in beds. Yeah, what a winning ad campaign.
I wrote about this campaign last week when I created a letter that I sent to Mayor Tom Barrett in regards to the ads that were unveiled last week that displayed a baby sleeping with a knife. Classy. Real classy. I posted the letter on my blog, and I also emailed it to him; though, I have not heard back from him. But, hey, who has time to answer an email filled with actual, researched, thoughtful information and data about co sleeping when you are busy painting mattresses and trying to scare the shit out of new mothers, fathers and babies for that matter? I know I wouldn’t.
So after I saw these STUPID, STUPID, STUPID mattress propaganda pieces, I decided to do something more. I decided to go to change.org and create an online petition asking the Milwaukee Health Department to remove its campaign against co-sleeping. Let me start by saying that this is not something that I do ever. I am not the social advocate type. I am the average American who is interested in politics and votes, but I have never been to a rally, a sit in or a nurse in for that matter. Well, I did run for student government in elementary school, and I was vice president of my 4H group so maybe the inner activist has been there all along.
I created this petition, which has gained quite a bit of signatures and interests; however, I don’t live in Milwaukee. So I know somebody is bound to ask my why I care about what happens in Milwaukee when I have never even set foot on city soil. Well, I care for a couple of reasons. Like…
- The co-sleeping propaganda put out by the City of Milwaukee is fear based and does absolutely nothing to educate the people of Milwaukee about safe co-sleeping.
- This ad campaign vilifies people who do co sleep, and as a co sleeper, I take offense to this.
- If you wait for an issue like to this to enter your own backyard before putting up a fight, then you have waited too long.
- Cities and states borrow ideas from one another all the time, and I don’t want my city or state to create a similar idiotic campaign.
- Send Mayor Tom Barrett an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and tell him how you feel about his campaign against co sleeping.
- Sign my petition at change.org.
- Share my petition on your Facebook or via Twitter or email.
- Share your opinion on news websites that are talking about this story.
- And if you are co sleeping, keep on doing it because as long as you do it safely, there is nothing wrong with it or you.